Chesterfield’s Climate and Weather
Chesterfield’s climate is classified as modified continental. Summers are warm and humid and winters generally mild. The mountains to the west act as a partial barrier to outbreaks of cold, continental air in winter. The cold winter air is delayed long enough to be modified, then further warmed as it subsides in its approach to Chesterfield.
The open waters of the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean contribute to the humid summers and mild winters.
The coldest weather normally occurs in late December and January, when low temperatures usually average in the upper 20’s and the high temperatures in the upper 40’s. Temperatures seldom lower to zero, but there have been several occurrences of below zero temperatures. Summertime high temperatures above 100 ºF are not uncommon, but do not occur every year.
Selected Climatic Statistics for Chesterfield
- January Average Low Temperature: 28.3° F
- July Average High Temperature: 89.7° F
- Average Annual Temperature: 57.7° F
- Average Annual High Temperature: 69.6° F
- Average Annual Low Temperature: 48.1° F
- Average Annual Precipitation: 43.6″
- Average Annual Snowfall: 10.3″
- Days with Precipitation (annually): 114
- Mean Annual Sunshine Hours: 2829
- Percent Possible Sunshine: 64%
- Annual Heating Degree Days (base 60): 2,892
- Annual Cooling Degree Days (base 60): 2,291
- Average Relative Humidity: 70%
- Prevailing Winds: N.W., 7.7 mph